Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday - Abial J. Fuller


Abial J. Fuller
Born:  13 February 1816 in Bradford, Pennsylvania
Died:  17 August 1886 in Poland Township, Buena Vista, Iowa
Buried:  Poland Township Cemetery, Marathon, Iowa

Abial J. Fuller is my 3rd great grandfather. I believe his parents to be William and Lucy (Campbell) Fuller, but I have no definitive proof of this fact yet, but the search continues. He married Cordelia Jane Pettit on 1 January 1839.  To this union were born the following children:

Eunice Sophia, Cornelia Jane, Jesse James, William Holbster, Lewis M., Elizabeth M. (my 2nd great grandmother), Albert D, and Harriet Amelia, known as Hattie.

When I first started researching my family tree, I was amazed to find that his grave was only eight miles from where I grew up.  I remember the awe I felt standing in front of his grave stone, even though I knew he wasn't there, feeling connected just because I had found his body's final resting place.  This picture was taken just last week when I was home visiting my parents.  Thirty years ago, it was much easier to read.  Above his name it says, "Sweet Hour of Prayer."  On the back, which in now illegible but was not thirty years ago, it reads:  "Farewell my wife and children From you a father Christ doth call."

In this cemetery, two of his daughters are buried, Eunice Sophia Reyman and my 2nd great grandmother, Elizabeth M. Freeman.  Cordelia would live until 1903, taking turns living with her daughters. In the 1900 Census she is living with her daughter and son-in-law, my 2nd great grandparents, William and Elizabeth Freeman. At the time of her death she was living with Hattie and her husband, Albert Brower and is buried somewhere in Murray County, Minnesota.



2 comments:

  1. Wish I had known - I would have taken Jenna there! Let me know what you want me to look for here in Ohio. I may need a break from school soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I didn't tell you!
      Didn't you just start school? :-)

      Delete